"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away?"

Author: Unknown

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Those Darn Deer

  I have a love/hate relationship with these guys. Love to watch, but just wish they would stay out of my garden. I have a few tulips, some of which are parrot tulips, that I dont think I have ever gotten to see bloom. By the time I noticed them, the deer would have already chomped their heads off. Last year I sprayed the deer buffet with a concoction I mixed up of eggs, garlic, milk,oil, and cayenne pepper. I then put it in a spray bottle and covered all their feast temptations with this spray. I don't think they like my cooking, ingrates! Needless to say, it worked. I couldn't even stand to breath it while spraying. I had to make sure I was upwind of the drift.
   Yesterday I was out and noticed the tulips were up about 2"-3".  I didn't take the time to mix this up. So I went in and grabbed some spray oil (generic Pam), and sprayed them very well, and then sprinkled cayenne pepper on them very heavily. Half a bottle in fact. My little green sprouts are now burnt red, lol. I hope this stops the little buggers.Maybe they will go to my neighbors yard  ; )

7 comments:

  1. I understand the love/hate relationship with these guys. So sweet, and they have to eat too, but not our gardens! I have trouble with the rabbits. I like them, but they nibble my pretty little flowers to the ground. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pretty critters can just mow down a garden in no time at all. Last year they got all of my tulips and most of the lilies. I have sprayed everything this year, put up invisible nylon twine, and even put up garlic clips. LOL! I am hoping one of those tricks are going to work. I will have to remember your recipe ;-) Maybe the garlic clips will work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish you lots of luck. When I sprayed that strong concoction last yr, it would last about a month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Last year they got all our impatiens. One day the impatiens look like giant ice cream cones and the next, nothing. Eaten right down to the roots. We also lose some hosta every year. a deer trail runs right through our yard. jim

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel for you Jim. Its awful to lose your flowers you work so hard for. Thank goodness, mine arent quite that bad....almost tho

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad it works, but it sounds like a pain. I use Havahart's Deer Off. I can't smell it once it dries. The label says it lasts for 3 months, so I barely have to apply this stuff. I just got a good deal on it on Havahart.com, just sign up for the newsletter and they give you 10% off.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Actually I have now proven to myself that Milorganite works very well.

    ReplyDelete