"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away?"

Author: Unknown

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Lysol Clean Flip Washable Covers

      I hate to buy things and throw them away. It seems such a waste of money and precious resources to buy the disposable cloths for those little mops. I had a coupon for $1 off the Lysol Clean Flip mop. I decided to purchase one  because my Swiffer mop had a broken handle. I decided very quickly I was going to make over some towels into washable pads for it. I thought at first it might be a little time- consuming, but actually they worked up very quickly.I tried to find some inexpensive microfiber towels, and maybe if I had looked at Big Lots or something I could have, but I was shopping with hubby and as usual, he was in a hurry. So I picked up a package of 5 barmops from Walmart for about $6.
After doing some measuring and comparing the best way to cut one from each towel, I came up with this:
Its hard to tell from this pic, but there is a blue border on this lower edge. I measured up 4" from the inside edge of the border, and the same with the left edge.
I trimmed off the blue border, and the left hem first.Then from the remaining 4" strip on the left, and the 4" strip across the bottom, I was able to get 2 more panels (for a total of 3) the length of the mop to lay down the center for extra absorbency. As shown in the center pic this will lay across the center of the panel from left to right  as shown in the main panel in pic two. The pic below is showing the main panel with the left side down at the bottom now.
The pic below shows the left edge of the main panel being folded over the center paddings about 3/8" Then this edge and the other 3 edges of the center padding will be zig zagged to hold securely. The same will be done to the other raw edge of towel.
Now fold over left edge to meet center padding stitching( approx 2"). Do the same with the right edge. Stitch the folded edge down with straight stitching along the edge. Be sure about double or triple stitch this and reinforce the edge where it will be pulled alot to pull it on and off the mop. Do the same with the other 3 corners.
This is the final product:

You can easily flip the edges of the mop up by pushing the rounded disk edge, and these easily slip over the edges of the mop. I didnt bother prewashing my towels, as I am always in a hurry, It may be a big mistake if these shrink much int he wash. So you may want to prewash before cutting. I only made two, so I will wait to make more until after these are washed.
UPDATE: I just used my first one and washed it in warm water and dried it. It came out beautifully. No shrinking, and washed perfectly clean. Now I can finish the rest of the set.


  




16 comments:

  1. I've been able to buy 2 different size microfiber cloth bundles at our Harbor Freight Store. They also have coupons in the Sunday paper coupon
    sections, Handyman Mag., for 20% off plus a free gift. (usually screwdrivers, rulers, mini flashlights, etc.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great Job! They are very simple to make. I also recently crocheted some cover out of durable cotton yarn.

      Delete
  2. I use old tube socks to fit over the pad on my Swiffer. I slit from the top of the cuff to the heel, slip it over the pad, and tuck the opened cuff into the holes on the back of the Swiffer. When it gets dirty, take it off and toss it in the wash. If it gets too dirty to be used again, simply toss it--that sock has given its all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats a very creative idea, great job!

      Delete
    2. I have a lot of socks to use, a great way to use them.

      Delete
  3. I've been doing that for a long time. I also buy flannel pillow cases from local thrift stores and make flannel ones. They're AWESOME for dusting the floor. You wouldn't believe the stuff the flannel picks up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. I hadnt thought about flannel sheets.

      Delete
  4. That's great. I had an old swiffer mop that someone left in our house that we bought. I had some old washclothes, (Just the basic 18 to a pack for $4.00 at Walmart). There is no need to make pockets since they "tuck" in a small hole in the top of the mop head. I took 2 washclothes, folded on in half and stitched onto the very center of the other. I then had a 12 inch (approx) mop pad with extra layers in the center. I keep a bottle of spray cleaner for the floors. I simply spray and mop. When the pad becomes dirty or I finish the job, I toss it into the laundry. Love your plans for the larger one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats exactly how I do it with the spray bottle of cleaner for quick touch-ups. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. Has anyone tried the cloth diapers that are padded in the middle?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea. I crocheted one for my swiffer. That was fine. I dislike buying expensive disposable cloths also. I'm doing to try with some old utility cloths I have. Thanks. I like the idea if a spray bottle with cleaner in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. i have also crocheted some, but the sewing works up quicker.

      Delete
  7. So many great ideas. I'm always glad to hear people say that they don't want to buy stuff to throw away. We need to be really conscious of our garbage.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Puttin a 1/4 cup of vinegar, 1 tbls dawn dish soap and then filling spray bottle with water makes a great floor cleaner!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great Idea! I am trying this when I refill my spray bottle. I love using dawn and Vinegar in my cleaners. Just never tried it on my floor. thanks for stopping by.

      Delete