"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away?"

Author: Unknown

Friday, July 09, 2010

Chicken Teriyaki

      I am not one to eat meat. I was vegetarian in high school for a couple of years. Now, when I eat meat, its usually only 2-3 bites. If its something I didnt have to cook, I can eat it ( sometimes), such as a hamburger or chicken sandwich from a fastfood restaurant. Tonight was totally different for a change. I made my first oriental dish...Chicken Teriyaki. I found  THIS recipe on  http://allrecipes.com/ that sounded pretty good. But I made a few changes. This chicken turned out fantastic. Everyone loved it including my picky, plain  meat & potatoes husband. I even went back for seconds. Below is the recipe I came up with using the above one. If you try it, let me know what you think.
I think this would also be good with some stir fried veggies. You can serve this over your favorite rice, but I included how I fix mine.

Chicken Teriyaki
2 to 3 pounds of  Chicken ( I used boneless,skinless chicken breast cut into chunks)
                   3/4 cup brown sugar
                   1/2 cup Soy Sauce
                   1 Tablespoon grated fresh ground ginger ( I didnt have fresh, so used 1 tsp dried)
                   2 cloves minced garlic 
                   1/2 to 3/4 cup pineapple juice ( I had some canned in its own juice left from supper last night)

1. Place chicken in a 9x13 baking dish
2. Mix all remaining ingredients and pour over chicken
3. Place in the refridgerator for 3 hours to marinate.( since I cut mine into chunks, and didnt have the time to wait 3 hours, I marinated for an hour and that seemed to be enough for the chunks)
4. Preheat oven to 375°, and then bake for 1 hour uncovered.
serve over your favorite rice. 
My favorite Rice
I poured about  2 and 1/2 cups of water in a sauce pan, and add 2 chicken flavored Bouillon Cubes. Place in one baggy of Minute Rice, and bring to a boil. Boil uncovered about 9 minutes and drain, add salt to taste. I also like to add steamed carrots to this sometimes as well. Simple and quick.

No comments:

Post a Comment