"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away?"

Author: Unknown

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

AreThese Tomato Seedlings?

I planted several different heirloom tomatoes last yr along with a couple early girl. I had so much problems with tomato hornworms and stinkbugs, I got very few fit to eat. Needless to say, a LOT fell to the ground. Now this same 4'x8' bed is full to the brim of these little seedlings. They appear, and smell like tomato plants. I dont know what to do with them. I thought at first they were marigolds, and was going to just leave a few sturdy ones, but now after they have gotten bigger and I smelled the leaves, I am pretty sure they are tomatoes. I hate to destroy them, but there is no way I have room for a few hundred tomato plants,lol. I didnt know the seeds would survive winter.


2 comments:

  1. They definitely look like tomato's to me! Keep a few of the sturdy ones and pull the rest or transplant somewhere else! Every year I get a few volunteer plants too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks as though you have some good volunteer tomatoes growing there, I would cut some off and leave them lying there as a mulch/green manure, and let the rest grow up. Often the ones that grow up on their own have formed a good resistance to the pests and diseases in your garden.

    ReplyDelete