"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away?"

Author: Unknown

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Garlic

I got interested in trying to grow some garlic around this past December. I have only used the little boxed garlic from the grocery store before, but after reading posts on the Gardenweb forum, some new varieties really sounded interesting. Several were even proclaiming their love of eating garlic raw. I have to admit I have never tried that. I do love to cook with lots of it though. Anyway, a generous gardener offered me some of his garlic to try. I promised I would try eating some of it raw. Well this garlic arrived in the mail, I think On Friday. I put off trying it over the weekend, opting to wait until my husband was at work. I like to spend as much time with him as I can  (yea, I know, sounds pitiful since we have been married over 32 years,but hey, what can I say). Anyway, I thought I would spare him my garlic breath,lol. So this morning I cut a small sliver off a small clove of rose colored garlic, and popped it in my mouth. As soon as I started chewing, the heat hit me full force. Man was this stuff hot. I quickly swallowed without chewing any further, and proceeded to pop a piece of bread in my mouth. While this worked some, I quickly followed with some peppermint sticks, and a couple pieces of sour candy my grand daughter had in the drawer. Well the heat is gone, but my breath still has a strong garlic smell, even to me. Dont think I will be trying that again anytime soon. Although, I figure this garlic would be excellent to cook with, and probably take a lot less than the mild store bought bulbs. I cant wait to give it a try with the fantastic recipe I have for Greek Lemon Chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment