"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away?"

Author: Unknown

Monday, December 24, 2012

Homemade Coconut Balls (faux Mounds)

    I have become the kind of cook/baker I used to hate. I remember after I got married asking my mother in law and grandmother how they make a certain recipe. They both would tell me ... oh just a pinch of this or a handfull of that. I hated trying to figure this out. sometimes it worked, sometimes not. Now I do the same thing. I have been doing some Christmas baking the past coule of days. last night I made peanut butter balls . These taste almost like peanut butter cups. Then hubby asked for his usual coconut balls last night. So this morning I have been working on these this morning.
                                                    COCONUT BALLS

14 oz bag of flaked coconut
1 stick of cold butter or margarine
1 Tablespoon plus 1 tsp vanilla
32 oz bag of powdered sugar

combine about 2/3 of a bag of powdered sugar and remaining ingredients. Using your hands combine ingredients. At first it will feel like there is no way its going to come together, but the heat of your hands softens the butter a little. It should have sort of a play doh consistency. You may need to add the remaining powdered sugar.

Start melting your chocolate chips and wax for the chocolate coating in a double boiler, or just use two small pans. Recipe for coating is below.
Now roll your filling into 1" balls. I got about 52 from the above recipe.

CHOCOLATE COATING
approx 2/3 bag of semi sweet chocolate chips
shave some parafin baking wax ( this part I dont understand, but I was taught to use this many yrs ago, and have even seen it used online. I notice it does make the chocolate a little thinner, and thereby making the balls easier to coat.)

Place ingredients into a double boiler over low heat. Once melted, roll your balls into the chocolate with a fork, and lay out onto wax paper. I had to lay mine on plastic wrap as I was out of wax paper You may need to refridgerate  for a little while before placing them into container. 

TIP: You could also roll up an almond inside for  Almond Joys with nuts.




Thanks for visiting. I am joining:
StoneGable Tutorials, Tips, and Tidbits

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for stopping by chris. I checked out your blog and I am now a follower. i cant wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete