"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away?"

Author: Unknown

Thursday, February 04, 2010

Hardwood Rose Cuttings

 If you have read previous posts, you know how much I love my Madame Isaac Pereire rose. After seeing how all the other hardwood cuttings were doing, I decided to go ahead and take some cuttings off this rose today. All of my cuttings get stuck straight in my little bed next to the block foundation of the house that faces NE. Most of what I put here seems to root pretty well. The soil has a good bit of clay, and doesnt seem to overly dry out.
Here is the pic of one of the canes I took. Notice the new growth buds already on it.
Then this for this next shot, I dipped the ends in water, tapped the excess off, then stuck in powdered rooting hormone and tapped the excess off again. These will then get stuck in the same bed.
Here they are put to bed, to wait for spring:
I also took some cuttings from my Coleus I was trying to save over winter. I dug the entire plant,potted it, and brought inside. Where I have it stays pretty cold, and not much light. So I am loosing all of these. So in a last ditch attempt to salvage a few, I took some cuttings. Next yr, I wont bother to dig, just grab some cuttings. I am winter sowing this yr for the first time, so thought I would try the same process to do some cuttings inside. I cut a milk jug almost in half, leaving about an inch for a hinge, The put moist potting mix inside, dipped cuttings in hormone and stuck them inside. There is also a couple of fuschia cuttings in there as well. I know a lot of people have luck with rooting these in water, but I am not one of these.
    After preparing, I tape the lid shut again, and take off the lid from the jug. and set in a warm place out of direct light. If these root, I will post another pic.



14 comments:

  1. Tammy, a nice informational piece for those just beginning to garden. So nice to discover your blog and say welcome to blotanical. I look forward to seeing more of your posts. Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Di, and welcome to my blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tammy, I don't have much luck overwintering coleus either. Even under lights in the basement, they just don't do well. I can't understand how people say this makes a great houseplant. Mine just stop growing and eventually lose all their leaves.

    I'm trying to keep mine in water this year. I've got two cuttings. When they root, I chop off the roots and stick them in clean water again. It's working so far. I'm going to sow seeds of these this year too. I have a rainbow mix so I'm hoping for more variety than I got last year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom was so good at this. She'd start roses from cuttings and put them under canning jars. Lo, and behold...a baby rose bush would emerge over time. Very informative!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tom, I hadnt thought of cutting off the roots again. i assume your doing that to delay planting until they can go outside? I thought about seeds, but somewhere I read they were really slow to grow from seed. I am anxious to see how they do for you.If anyone can do it, I am sure you can. I have seen your pics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. T opdycke, my dad did this as well. Mine always rotted with this method. But I know it works for many others.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Tammy. I have tried and tried to root rose cuttings and it never works for me somehow.I have a Crimson Bouquet rose that I love and keep trying to root from it. Do you cut your just below a node? I am too stubborn to quit so will probably keep trying. LOL!
    Lona

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lona, definitly DON'T quit trying. Thats how one learns what works for them. You wouldnt believe everything I have tried to get roses to work. It seemed when I tried this bed, and just took the attitude of stick and forget, that things started working. You do cut about 1/2" below a node. I would try some cuttings now, and then again in the spring. Put them where they wont get intense direct sun, and wont dry out.If you have some trouble, another good spot for help is gardenweb.com in the rose propagation forum. And dont be afraid to email me. i would love to know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tammy, I wintersowed them just as spring was breaking, about mid April. I planted them out in June. I did pot them into their own containers before putting them in the ground. I wasn't sure where to plant them. I ended up putting them with impatiens along the front walkway. You can see they did okay. :)

    link

    You should try wintersowing coleus.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Tammy! Nice to meet you and very interesting post. I have never had luck with the rooting powder but I won't quit either. I have tried rooting lavender & various hardwoods to no avail. I think I might try on the roses and I see you have them right out into the ground .. like I said very interesting and informative. Glad you joined up with the GROW project & watch for more details on the GreatGardenGiveaway I am working on. Should be lots of fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, Beautiful color combo. I guess I should give w/s a try. Thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  12. therunninggarlic, you might also try softwood cuttings in spring. I will watch for the giveaway. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Tammy - thanks for the pick on blotanical! I alwasy snatch some coleus at the end of the season - mine are all still sitting on the kitchen window sill in a vase of water. I guess it might be time to plant them up. Are you in the real mountains of WV? I lived in St. Louis for ages and drove through WV to Richmond VA to visit home. I always wondered at those gardens on the mountain, or more impressive, in the valleys. Good luck on the cuttings! Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  14. Actually Kelly, I dont live in the mountains.I would say you really hit the treacherous mountains to the edge of WV into Va.What I always wonder about is where these people work at when they live in the desolated areas of the mountains. Sometimes you can drive for hours before you see a place of business

    ReplyDelete