If you have read previous posts, you know how much I love my Madame Isaac Pereire rose. After seeing how all the other hardwood cuttings were doing, I decided to go ahead and take some cuttings off this rose today. All of my cuttings get stuck straight in my little bed next to the block foundation of the house that faces NE. Most of what I put here seems to root pretty well. The soil has a good bit of clay, and doesnt seem to overly dry out.
Here is the pic of one of the canes I took. Notice the new growth buds already on it.
Then this for this next shot, I dipped the ends in water, tapped the excess off, then stuck in powdered rooting hormone and tapped the excess off again. These will then get stuck in the same bed.
Here they are put to bed, to wait for spring:
I also took some cuttings from my Coleus I was trying to save over winter. I dug the entire plant,potted it, and brought inside. Where I have it stays pretty cold, and not much light. So I am loosing all of these. So in a last ditch attempt to salvage a few, I took some cuttings. Next yr, I wont bother to dig, just grab some cuttings. I am winter sowing this yr for the first time, so thought I would try the same process to do some cuttings inside. I cut a milk jug almost in half, leaving about an inch for a hinge, The put moist potting mix inside, dipped cuttings in hormone and stuck them inside. There is also a couple of fuschia cuttings in there as well. I know a lot of people have luck with rooting these in water, but I am not one of these.
After preparing, I tape the lid shut again, and take off the lid from the jug. and set in a warm place out of direct light. If these root, I will post another pic.