"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away?"

Author: Unknown

Sunday, February 07, 2010

Home-made French Baguette

I posted on gardenweb forum for a recipe for an Italian bread with a thick chewy crust. Ann_t gave me this recipe for Julia Child's French Baguette. The recipe was a little strange to me. When I make bread I proof the yeast in small amount of "warm" water then add flour. this recipe has you add the dry yeast directly to the flour, mix, then add "cold" water. I was afraid it wouldn't raise, but it did fantastic. The only thing I did different was putting a sprinkle of corn meal on the pan. We had Homemade Spaghetti with the loaves, and everyone loved them.The Crust was nice and thick and very chewy. You can find the recipe here: Gardenweb.  Check about halfway down . There are some nice pics as well. I also have a starter waiting for another recipe for Italian bread tomorrow.
     If you want to learn more about bread making, check out Tricia's Tutorial while your there.It was a fantastic help. I have been a part of Gardenweb for many years but have mostly stuck with the gardening forum, until this weekend. I will definitely be visiting this "Cooking" forum again. There are some fantastic cooks in there.Sorry about not having a pic,  I didnt think about it till the loaves were gone, but Ann_T's are better anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment