"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away?"

Author: Unknown

Sunday, February 07, 2010

The Snow is Back

  Well, looks like the weather reporters were pretty close right with this storm. They were predicting anywhere from 6" to 16" of snow for us yesterday. We got 8", but I am not complaining. Our electric went out from 3 Am Saturday morning until about 5pm last night. Our home is all electric, so thank God for the wood stoves. At least we were warm. My husband has a small generator that he plugged the fridge, and TV in, and we used an electric Foreman grill that I havent used in ages, plus the microwave. I tried boiling an egg on top of the wood stove, but it didnt want to come to a boil, so I wrapped the partially cooked egg in foil, and set it inside my wood stove next to the hot ash for 5 minutes. It worked, so I had a chef salad for lunch. There was so much snow and ice on the power  and phone lines it pulled the phone line out of the house where it was attached. Luckily, it fell across the corner of the garage roof below, which reduced tension, and kept it from being pulled out of the junction box. We were out Saturday evening when then stuff hit, and in a matter of an hour, the roads were horrible. During that 30 mile drive back home, we saw about 5 wrecks before we got home. Where Oh Where Is Spring?

11 comments:

  1. Wow! I sure don't miss getting snow like that. Here in NC everything shuts down even if we get 2 cm of snow LOL. I'm glad you're ok though, and made it home safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, please support me in the Dare to Fail contest. Come and leave a comment at Tell me how to make Hydrangea blooms. Thanks a million.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks Kyna. I hate weather like this. Pretty to look at if you dont have to go out tho.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will check out your link blossum, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hang in there Tammy Spring gets closer each day.We all want the white stuff to just stop. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hocking hills? are you in Ohio?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good thing for wood stoves! Just keep looking at your blog header and think spring. Your header is beautiful by the way! Stay warm :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Amy. And yes, the wood stoves have come in very handy. We would go broke paying the heating bill otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Where are you located, Tammy? I probably missed meeting you when you first started blogging...it gets so busy and I stopped for a while between Nov and Jan. We are currently sitting in 2 feet of snow, here in Virginia. It's crazy! I was raised in the north, so it's nothing new...but down here, people just aren't used to it and everything literally shuts down! Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jan, I live in WV. About 45 min east of the Ohio/WV border.TWO FEET! Where in va are you? I know in WV, more towards the mountains they got 16", but thats normal for them.I remember one yr we got 3 feet all at once. But that was several years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We live in northern VA. We were part of the huge monster snowstorm that just blasted the mid-Atlantic. The weather patterns are so unpredictable, it's hard to say anymore what kind of weather a particular area might get!

    ReplyDelete