"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away?"

Author: Unknown

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Do We Really Know What We're Eating?

      Sometimes, I think it might be better NOT to know. when you actually take time to think about it, it can make you sick to your stomach. Every once in awhile I will hear of some strange ingredient that the FDA allows in our food. Thats the key word..."ALLOWS"!  It is absolutely shocking and appalling to think about what we are putting in our mouths. Be warned though, you may want to stop reading now, while you still have an appetite.
       Many....many years ago, while I was in high school, I read that red dye Carmine was derived from beetles. I quit eating red jello. admittedly tho, as I got older, I forgot about it.......mostly. Sometimes its one of those things you just try NOT to think about.  However, its one of those truths that we are not told about. Carmine,and Cochineal are made from ground beetles! It is used as a dye in many red juices, candies, cosmetics and more. You might want to start reading your labels.
                      check this out: http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/bugjuice.asp
       Just this morning, I found this article: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/10/26/fda-approved-rat-hairs-an_n_773608.html#s165326title=Pizza_Sauce_30 . I know its by Huffington Post. Not my favorite read. They like to lead off with misleading titles to draw you into a vague or stupid article, but this one has links to the FDA's website. Check it out.
        Yesterday, I read that L-cysteine is used in many bread doughs as a dough conditioner. L-Cysteine is derived from human hair, hog hair,and avian feathers. I dont know about you, but I never have to sweep my floor after a haircut to make my homemade bread.....yuck! Check out this post below and be sure and read some more on your own.
               http://www.vrg.org/blog/2013/04/22/information-about-l-cysteine/
               http://www.vrg.org/blog/2011/03/09/l-cysteine-in-bread-products-still-mostly-sourced-from-human-hair-duck-feathers-hog-hair/
              http://www.eatlikenoone.com/l-cysteine-a-dough-softener-made-from-feathers-and-hair.htm
I checked my bag of sunbeam bread and thank God, I didnt see it listed, but who knows what else is "allowed" in there that is NOT listed.
         Grandma did it right. almost everything was made from scratch at home. Some used to and still do, grind their own flour. Milked their own cows. Canned their own produce, and sat back and enjoyed their meals without a second thought.
        As I am researching and writing this article, my thoughts keep drifting to a 70's movie called "Soylent Green", starring Charleton Heston. A futuristic movie about how  food is in short supply, and the people find out the high protein green wafer they have been eating is made from HUMAN REMAINS.  Then you remember when you watched old movies about people traveling to space, and how we thought THAT would NEVER happen.
                           
     

No comments:

Post a Comment