"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away?"

Author: Unknown

Saturday, May 08, 2010

Spiderwort

  My Spiderwort ( Tradescantia virginianahas just begun to come into bloom. The flowers are actually a purple, but for some reason my camera is determined to show them as blue. I love how this plant looks with the gold color of the Red twig Dogwood as a backdrop. I have seen some responses on GW about a few complaining of it being an aggressive spreader. However, I have had this one plant for many years, and have never had it spread once. Its a pretty little plant that requires no care on my part.It is a perennial that grows 18"-24" tall. Its hardy in zones 4-9b. Prefers sun to partial shade. Mine is growing in full sun in clay soil. It blooms thru out most of the growing season. I have saved seeds from it, but I have never tried started them from seed.




No comments:

Post a Comment